Thank you for your interest in joining the Association of English-language Publishers of Quebec! Here is some information about the association, our membership tiers, and application process.
The Association of English-language Publishers of Quebec (AELAQ) was established in 1987 to encourage the publication, distribution and promotion of English-language books in Quebec. While striving to raise the profile of books being written and published locally, the AELAQ provides a common forum for those concerned with Quebec’s publishing industry. As an affiliate of the Association of Canadian Publishers, the AELAQ maintains a close liaison with other associations working for the good of the Canadian publishing industry.
The objectives of the Association are:
- To encourage the publication, distribution and promotion of books published in English in Quebec;
- To provide a common forum for publishers and those interested in the publishing industry in Quebec to exchange ideas and information;
- To speak for the common interests of constituent members to all levels of government and to public and private institutions in Quebec and across Canada;
- To undertake specific projects, studies, and other forms of action as shall be required to further the objectives as set out above;
- To undertake such activities as will promote the sale of publications by publishers;
- And to maintain a close liaison and co-operation with the Association of Canadian Publishers, the Literary Press Group and other associations and interest groups working for the good of the Canadian English and French publishing industry.
The AELAQ has three levels of members – active, associate, and supporting. Both active and associate members are entitled to attend business meetings; however only active members have the right to vote. Although supporting members are not entitled to vote, they may attend meetings and events on invitation.
2022 membership fees are based on a sliding scale:
Supporting Members: $50–$75
Active & Associate, sales under $75,000: $50–$100
Active & Associate, sales $75,000–$150,000: $100–$200
Active & Associate, sales over $150,000: $200–$300
To apply for membership, publishers must complete an application for membership form and submit samples of their publications.
For details on eligibility, see details below on our levels of membership. All applications are reviewed by the AELAQ Executive Committee. Feel free to contact us should you have any questions about the application tiers or process.
Active membership is open to any firm, partnership, individual proprietorship or institution which:
- Has its chief office of business in Quebec;
- Is at least eighty percent beneficially owned by persons who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents; or is fully owned or controlled by institutions or associations chartered in Canada which are at least 80 percent controlled by persons who are residents in Quebec and are Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
- Is effectively controlled as to its managerial, editorial and financial decisions by persons who are residents in Quebec and are Canadian citizens or permanent residents;
- Publishes original Canadian books as a primary part of its activity;
- Has in print at least four original Canadian titles published in the three year period prior to application for membership and an ongoing publishing programme of not less than one title a year, and has been in operation for at least two years from the date of publication of its first title;
- Has no more than twenty-five percent of its books written by principals, directors or employees of the firm.
If you do not meet all of the criteria above, you may also qualify for Supporting or Associate membership, see below.
The Board may, upon application, admit as an associate member a publisher who meets the criteria set out above except for the following conditions: has two original Canadian titles published within the previous three years, the majority of which were authored by people other than principles, directors or employees of the applicant firm, or, fifty percent in cases where only two books are in print. Associate members are entitled to attend meetings of the members of the Association but are not be entitled to vote.
Supporting membership is open to any individual, firm, partnership, individual proprietorship or institution which supports the objectives of the Association. Supporting members are entitled to attend meetings of the members of the Association but are not be entitled to vote.
Once you have completed the application form, please email us a minimum of two sample publications, in PDF form. We will be in touch soon to confirm receipt.