NOTE: This posting is now closed. Thanks to all who applied!
Terms: 12-week internship
Dates: June-August 2019 (flexible start and end date)
Schedule: 15 hours/week
Location: Montreal, QC. Some work to be done in the AELAQ office, some can be done at home.
Language of Work: English
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and C.V. as a single attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Anna Leventhal. Deadline to receive applications: midnight Monday May 13th.
Due to the volume of applicants, only those we wish to interview will be contacted.
Because this is an internship, the position is not open to owner/operators of existing professional publishing houses, or permanent full-time staff. Individuals who have worked part-time or on a temporary basis at a publishing house may apply.
The Association of English-language Publishers of Quebec (Association des éditeurs de langue anglaise du Quebec) is a not-for-profit members’ organization that advances the publication, distribution, and promotion of English-language books from Quebec. We support our member publishers through professional development seminars, advocacy, and marketing initiatives.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the intern’s primary responsibility will be planning and executing the Professional Development programming for 2019-2021. The intern will also take part in day-to-day tasks and operations at AELAQ. We are a small organization, and as such, all employees–including the Professional Development intern–wear many hats.
The intern will gain valuable knowledge of the Quebec and Canadian book-publishing industry; they will leave the position with an understanding of the challenges facing publishers, as well as what publishers need in order to succeed. They will also gain a working knowledge of a non-profit professional association, and the various logistics involved in running one.
Professional Development programming duties:
- Conducting interviews with AELAQ members (Quebec-based English-language publishers) to determine their professional development needs and priorities
- Reporting results of these interviews to the Executive Director, and working with the ED to develop a robust series of events (6-8 events total) that will best serve AELAQ membership between Fall 2019 and Spring 2021
- Researching, identifying, and contacting qualified experts and industry professionals to give workshops, seminars, and panel discussions that will meet the needs of the AELAQ membership
- Booking travel and accommodation for visiting experts and industry professionals from out of town, as needed
- Scheduling events and booking conference/seminar rooms
- Creating and distributing invitations to events to AELAQ members, and to other key stakeholders and the general public when appropriate
- Promoting panels/workshops/guest speakers on social media
Other duties not directly related to the professional development workshops:
- Assisting with production of the Montreal Review of Books
- Assisting in planning the Holiday Pop-Up Book Fair
- Assisting in planning Get Lit! Brilliant Books from Quebec (English-language literary presence at the Salon du livre de Montreal)
- General office upkeep and admin–this may include helping with mail-outs, minute-taking at board meetings, purchasing office supplies, and other administrative and logistical tasks.
We estimate that the intern’s duties will be split 2/3 working on the Professional Development project and 1/3 on other tasks.
- Excellent English-language communication
- Basic knowledge of and interest in Quebec- and Canadian-owned publishing industry
- Ability to conduct interviews with industry professionals, as well as summarize and report on results
- Ability to gather information from many sources and present it in a clear and direct way
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Persistent and good at following up; able to accommodate the schedules of busy industry professionals
- Comfortable with phone calls
- Knowledge of social media best practices
- Basic graphic design abilities
- Basic knowledge of MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, Microsoft Office suite
Accessibility: There are two sets of stairs required to access the AELAQ office, and regrettably the building does not yet have an elevator. There is a single-stall gender-neutral washroom in the building. The AELAQ office has a scent-free policy, but can’t guarantee a total absence of scent because we are located in a public building (the Atwater library). Please contact us with other accessibility inquiries.